The first concrete suggestions for a railway along the Dee valley were made in 1845. Following a meeting on 2 September of that year, a prospectus was issued for a ‘Deeside Railway’.
The Board of the new company was to consist of Thomas Blaikie, (Lord Provost of Aberdeen, who was also Chairman of the Great North) as Chairman, together with the directors of the Aberdeen Railway Company and the directors of the Great North of Scotland Railway. Alexander Gibb was to be the Engineer.
The original capital was to consist of £100,000 (issued in 2,000 shares of £50 each) which was to cover the estimated cost of £95,00Q 19S 1d for constructing a single line along the north side of the river as far as Banchory
The Deeside Line was the first complete railway line in Aberdeenshire, a regular carrier of two reigning queens and four kings of Great Britain (as well as, on occasion, the Czar of all the Russias and other assorted foreign royalty.
When it closed, The Deeside line died aged 113 years, three months and twenty-two days
Train at Cambus o May station 1884. This Side Tank engine ws not used on normal train routes, but for shunting within railway yards. It is supposed that this was a “one of” circumstance. Note the shadow of the signal, showing two indicators! The lower indicator was for a siding where a carriage was placed for Deeside Railway Board Meetings. Note: This photo pre-dates the bridge over the Dee at Cambus O May.
Steam Train from Ballater to Aberdeen snakes round Cut a way Cottage. Cut a Way cottage was formerly a lodging house and Pub. The floods of 1829 rose to rafter height causing the landlord and his wife to seek refuge on higher ground.
New Battery Electric Train (known as Sputnik) on it’s first day in 1958 The ATC Pipe Band play the train off. The batteries had to recharged after each journey. However it is said that Ballater never trusted that Aberdeen had charged them at all and insisted on a recharge after return to Ballater.